Now. New. Next.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

An Introduction to Block Head

About two months ago, after I finished creating the entire line up for the magazine, I couldn't help but to feel like something was missing. This magazine is for the offbeat and fly creative, and the sections are pretty straight forward; Style, Hair Etc., Sound, Life, Hood, Body, Art +History...It seemed to me like these sections together would amount to a well rounded book, that touched on every aspect that was important in a young adults life. Then I thought..something still seemed to be missing..Then I thought about how other magazines end their book...some have horoscope, some have words of wisdom, some have throw back tributes and others have a fashion or trend page..well of course since everyone is doing this...none of these will work for N3 Magazine.

I knew that I wanted to close the book in a special way..I wanted to end with something that the readers was "great" enough to sum up all the amazing content that would be prior to it. All of a sudden, I figured it out..it was like a light went off in my head..and I knew what I was missing. At that very moment my idea of Block Head was born. Block Head is the main character in a comic strip that will run on the closing page of N3 Magazine. The Block Head comic strip will address famously debated societal issues, stereo types and norms. Additionally, it will offer solutions to these issues, and introduce a more "free" alternative way of thinking. Block Head is a non-age, non-race, and non-gendered being that accidentally lands/arrives on our planet. Block Head is foreign to this planet, and there for is not bogged down by the some of the weight that we have been forced to carry and except as humans.

A comic strip is historically the perfect way to get "heavy" information and opinions out to the public. Its like saying not so nice things, but doing it with a smile. Animation is comforting to young and old, and is the perfect place to either hide or expose a message, it just all depends on what the messenger has to say. I guess the old saying is really true..say along with me now.. A picture is worth a thousand words!!!

Please feel free to leave a comment with some issues that you would like to see the Block Head Comic Strip address...remember, think global issues, societal issues, religious issues, racial issues, etc..aka "the sticky stuff"



1 comment:

  1. Hey! Nice idea...i like that fact that its outside the box...almost unexpected in a magazine..Some of the issues Block Head could address are anything that out of the norm, or better said, "out of the BLOCK" Since N3 Magazine focuses is to be fly,creative and offbeat..is it possible to use Block Head as reflective character responding, mocking or addressing those topics who don't fit inside the, "Block" or better yet "our" mind state.....I love the concept.....Rennel Ethlyn....2 cents

    ReplyDelete